The Malaysian Food Review

The Definitive Guide to Malaysian Food


Bak Kut Teh – Kedai Makanan Ban Lee - Jalan Ipoh (Next to Dynasty Hotel)

I was alerted to this place by a friend of mine who told me that it is much better than my regular place, Restoran Sem Kim. Being a disloyal piece of crap, I naturally tried it out.

Upon arriving at the shop at around 1am, I noticed that the shop was very crowded. That is always a good sign. So being stupid, I got all excited about it. I ordered my regular pork ribs with no mushrooms and no vegetables, and waited… and waited… and waited… and waited for my food to arrive. At my usual place, my food is ready the minute they see my car.

Just as I was getting agitated, and stopped making polite conversation with those around me, the food arrived. And of course the first thing you must do when a steaming hot claypot of Bak Kut Teh arrives is to sample the soup. Please beware as this could cause severe tongue burns, and in turn will result in you not being able to taste the delicious Bak Kut Teh.

The soup was, well, how do I put this, by normal standards, it was pretty decent. Just normal BKT soup, with a strong herbal taste. Nothing special, unlike my Restoran Sem Kim. HOWEVER, due to all the hype about this place, I would have to say that the soup was slightly disappointing. People are dumb.


The quality of the pork was a bit better than the one at my regular place, but still not very tender. There pieces of pork weren’t very meaty, which led me to believe that they must only use very well-toned, sexy pigs. I did not order any side dishes although I did see some yau char kuay on the floor and it didn’t look too good.

But just for the record, please note that I finished every piece of meat and every drop of soup because wasting Bak Kut Teh is a sin.

The meal with a Shit Cha came up to around RM9 per person, which is average.

As for the rating, I will try to be objective, but it is hard because I wasted a perfectly good opportuinity to have my favourite BKT to try this one, and I was disappointed, but I think a 6.5/10 is fair.

5 Bites (Comments)

5 Responses to “Bak Kut Teh – Kedai Makanan Ban Lee - Jalan Ipoh (Next to Dynasty Hotel)”

  1. # Blogger KY

    I've blogged about this place before, at http://kyspeaks.com/2006/04/21/ky-eats-jalan-ipoh-ban-lee-bak-kut-teh/

    might try out your other suggestion if i only know where it is.  

  2. # Anonymous Anonymous

    Your photo seems very over-exposed. Are you using a camera phone?  

  3. # Blogger Fidel Gastro

    ky, just get on the opposite side of the road (from Ban Lee)and drive straight down. It will be on your left. It is just after AmBank and opposite the Tan Chong showroom. It is called Restoran Sem Kim. If you still don't get it I will have to draw a ky-style map for you.  

  4. # Blogger Fidel Gastro

    anon, yes I am using a camera phone, but my photography skills are such that even if I was using a 10 megapixel camera with a lens so long it resembles.. well... you know what, my photos will still look the same  

  5. # Anonymous aprilcherrie

    i been here before too... cant really reember how it taste already.. the last time i went was in 2004 -_-" recently i'm looking for a good place for Bak Kut Teh...

    heard that Klang there got few shop not bad... i tried Teluk Pulai (Pottery) Ba Kut Teh taste not bad also (but not as good as before already).. i'm still looking for the better shop.. will post up once i got it ;)  

Post a Comment



© 2006 The Malaysian Food Review | Blogger Templates by GeckoandFly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.