The Malaysian Food Review

The Definitive Guide to Malaysian Food


Chilli Pan Mee - Restoran Kin Kin - Jalan Tuanku Abdul Rahman


This well hidden restaurant was recommended to me by a friend. According to him, it serves the best pan mee he has ever had. With such a glowing testimonial, how could I resist? So I took down detailed directions and went on my journey. My co-pilot was Smoking Salmon. We lost track of where we were half way through the journey but somehow managed to get there without turning back or making any u-turns. I guess it was destined that I eat the pan min. So anyway, the restaurant is located along a road just off Jalan Tuanku Abdul Rahman, near Chow Kit and the infamous Lorong Haji Taib area. Parking isn’t a problem as there are many lots all along the street.




At the restaurant, there probably wont be any place to sit. But don’t worry, sharing tables is the norm here. You will be ushered to a table with occupants and will be put in the uncomfortable situation of sitting and facing people you don’t know and probably watching them eat. Once you are comfortably seated, someone will come take your order. Please note that the pan min here comes in 1 size and with only 1 type of noodle. The only variable will be whether you want it dry or in soup. Seeing as to how this place is famous for the dry one, I opted for that. Next, you will be faced with a long wait for your food.

They prepare the dishes in bulk but due to the number of customers, the wait is inevitable. When the food finally arrives, you will notice that it does not look very appetizing. It is rather pale looking and there isn’t much meat in it. Also, there will be a semi-cooked egg on top. The most obvious difference between this and normal pan min however is the fact that the noodles are round instead of being flat. A nice old lady will then put a container of chilli that looks almost black in colour on the table. This is what people come here for. You will notice that the chilli has a 50% chilli seed content. Scary…




After taking your 1st bite, you will realize what all the hype is about. The pan min is absolutely delicious. The noodles have a very nice texture, not too hard and not too soft. The flavour is also very unique. The only ingredient I could identify was the egg I mixed in. For my next bite, I added some chilli. My friend, knowing that I have a weak stomach, warned me that the chilli is extremely spicy, and so I only took a tiny little bit of it. But even that little bit made the dish even tastier, although I did suffer from tummy burn later.



A problem for me here was that 1 bowl was insufficient to fill my burning tummy. However, a 2nd bowl could not be put into my tummy without experiencing some nauseous feelings later. I estimated my remaining stomach capacity at ¼ of a bowl. And luckily, Smoking Salmon is a 1 ¾ bowl guy, so we both filled up nicely. A lot of people come here and have 2 bowls to themselves. I think that this is due to the size and also to the tastiness of the pan min.

Once you are done with your meal, make your way to the stall in the front of the shop and pay the nice man with a pouch on his waist for your meal. One bowl of pan min costs RM4.60, and is rather expensive for pan min. However, as many others will testify, it is worth it.

Rating – 9/10

Disclaimer – I am not a voyeur. I am only an amateur photographer and therefore the photographs provided in my reviews are merely for educational and not aesthetic purposes.

UPDATE

Due to popular demand by all 1 of my readers, I enclose herewith a map for your easy reference.

UPDATE TO THE UPDATE

New and improved map.

29 Bites (Comments)

29 Responses to “Chilli Pan Mee - Restoran Kin Kin - Jalan Tuanku Abdul Rahman”

  1. # Anonymous Gretchen Ross

    This is the best pan min have have tasted. But I have never drove there myself. Can you please draw a map for me? tq.  

  2. # Blogger J

    Mmmm... Kin Kin is my favourite Pan Min place in KL...
    (The pork balls there are not bad too)
    :)

    The guy who runs the place tends to be a tad too grumpy when it gets busy at lunch time though.
    (I suppose since the pan min+chili are so nice, people still come back even if the customer service is bad)  

  3. # Blogger Fidel Gastro

    gretchen ross:I went back there for lunch today just so I can draw a map for you. It's on the review page.

    j:When I went today, Smoking Salmon, SekSun and Tongue of Fury tagged along (they don't have anything better to do) and Smoking Salmon got a well mild scolding from one of the sons (the one who collects the money).  

  4. # Anonymous aprilcherrie

    hi Fidel, can put the map bigger arr?? thinking of going there to try it out this weekend :) hehehehe...  

  5. # Anonymous aprilcherrie

    oh ya, forgot tell you about this... there's one shop that my colleague found last year, maybe you can give it a try :) they have different style of pan mee :). you can try out their "Lui Cha" also, heard that is not bad... i only tried their pan mee :)

    15 Style of Pan Mee  

  6. # Anonymous Gretchen Ross

    Your map is of no help  

  7. # Blogger Tongue of Fury

    is Lui Cha a type of pan mee? Isn't it like rice? I can't stand that shit, I know it's healthy food, but its pretty tasteless...  

  8. # Blogger Fidel Gastro

    Okay newest map is up. Gretchen Ross is demanding...

    aprilcherrie:You should go. It is really good.

    Thanks to Tongue of Fury for helping his dumb friend upload the map.  

  9. # Anonymous aprilcherrie

    fidel gastro,
    hahaha thanks fidel for the bigger map :)

    tongue of fury,
    yeah.. lui cha is rice... not pan mee.. The Restaurant that i talk about they have Lui Cha and 15 style of pan mee :)
    err... at first i cant take the taste of "Lui Cha" also.. but slowly... i try to enjoy the food... is kind of good and healthy :)  

  10. # Blogger smoking salmon

    I was NOT scolded. He was just being an impatient arse. That fella only nice to girls one. Oh yeah when he wants to shift your table position he suddenly becomes nice also.  

  11. # Blogger SekSun

    J,
    We got a personal taste of his grumpiness today. Have you found a place that is famous for its food and has excellent service?

    aprilcherrie,
    Lui Cha is excellent stuff. Where is this restaurant?  

  12. # Anonymous earl-ku

    ha, biasala, good foods are found the filthy place most of the time and has some very grumpy workers ...

    that pan min to me is just normal ... i prefer the normal ones in soup, with the pieces teared apart rather than the one u have there ...

    chilis are also normal, make the whole bowl hot, and thats the only taste u have hot ...  

  13. # Blogger Fidel Gastro

    earl-ku:I beg to differ. I think the taste of the noodles and its ingredients coupled with the taste of the chilli is heavenly. I am actually considering upgrading it from a 9 to a 9.5.

    Do you have any good pan min or any other good food to recommend?  

  14. # Blogger SekSun

    earl-ku,
    I think the dry and soup pan meen are totally different in nature and fans.
    I also like pan min that are teared apart.
    In fact there is one at Taman Kinrara that serves silky smooth teared pan min with soup.  

  15. # Blogger Jackson

    Thx for sharing, will try it out one day  

  16. # Anonymous Anonymous

    not saying i dont like it or what, jus tthat there nothing which makes it that kind of special ... nothing to brag of it ... just that the chilli makes it hot, and hot makes ur tongue numb, and there is like no taste at all once the hotness settles in ...

    err there is one pan mee in Pandan Perdana, on the this corner shop behind Guardian, which sells from nite to wee hours in the morning ... the soup is nice ... and the pan mee is good also ... there is something special bout the soup. if you are there try out the char keuh tow also ...  

  17. # Anonymous earl-ku

    Fidel Gastro: haha, to me its nothing to shout home about, coz the chilli is just hot, too hot to blank out everything, but even without the chilli the pan mee taste rather bland ... so i put in more chilli

    people say those who can take hot food has actually killed their taste bud ...

    hmmm there is one in Pandan Perdana, behind the Guardian

    Sek Sun: i like the teared ones more as they resembles the one my mother makes ... the best  

  18. # Blogger J

    to fidel and seksun:
    No lah.... definately not: I don't think there is any food place in Msia where the food is nice + nice environment + cheap/afforable price + good service...
    *laughs*
    ... but that's just how it is lah.

    As the food place gets more famous, they will also get more "lansi".  

  19. # Anonymous Anonymous

    the pan mee is nice, no doubt about it, but the attitude of the workers and boss does really kill you appetide, its normal in Malaysia when you make it big, your head tends to be big too, i really hope they get some lessons and be nicer to their customers  

  20. # Anonymous Anonymous

    lat=3.16048624714, lon=101.6981  

  21. # Anonymous Anonymous

    I just experienced this last month when visiting KL. This was some of the best food I had during my entire stay.. infact, I am craving it so much and certain I am not going to find it now that I've returned home to Florida. (USA) I guess I must return to KL to have it again. haha The owner aka "uncle" was adorable. He was so excited to have a westerner in his restaurant and went out of his way to make me feel welcome. Over all.. a great experience! ***** :)  

  22. # Anonymous Anonymous

    The food is ok but the workers especially the fat guy that cooking mee is really bad attitude.It really affect your appetite. I will not pay another visit to this shop with such bad service.  

  23. # Blogger cutepig

    I want to tell you, I know a website sell the gaia gold, and in this website all gaia online gold is very cheap, there had many customer, if you want to buy gaia gold, I suggest you to come here then to buy the cheap gaia gold.  

  24. # Anonymous Anonymous

    Yea true.. The service is not well enough, but this is really normal in Malaysia esp if you are famous. Anyway, there's another restaurant in Bayu Tinggi Klang which sells a large varieties of pan mee. It is very special in a way that it is not the soup that differs between each dish, but the noodles itself. THey serve dragon fruit pan mee, and the noodle is in fact pink in colour originated from the fruit. And they have others such as spinach, pumpkin and seaweed pan mee. Pan mee lovers shud go there to try =)  

  25. # Anonymous Shawn Murphy

    I was in Malaysia a year ago for work, was there for about a month, and all I have been able to think about was this amazing (and simple) noodle dish.. I emailed one of my workers yesterday and he said it was Pan Mee and that it was near 'Jalan Tunku Rahman', so in desperation I did a Google search for Pan Mee Malaysia and there it is, the exact place, 'Kin Kin', thank you, thank you, thank you! Now I have to figure out how to make it myself, the way they make it... I know it has the little dried fishes.. (I had the dry version too), does anyone know how to make it??

    Signed,

    Desperate in Seattle (USA)  

  26. # Anonymous Shawn Murphy

    This site seems to get me closer to a recipe, but it may be missing some 'secret' ingredient:

    http://www.boredworkers.com/2006/08/21/restoran-kin-kin-spicy-pan-mee/  

  27. # Anonymous Shawn Murphy

    I think I found it!

    http://foodmadesimple.blogspot.com/2009/05/homemade-chili-pan-mee.html  

  28. # Anonymous Anonymous

    The service at Restoran Kin Kin is very bad. esp the fat guy cooking the mee, really has a bad attittude and when he scolding, you can imagine his saliva fall into the pan mee while he was cooking. His father is ok. And the lady when you sit at the big table, she will scold and push you to sit at a smaller table. Well, it's fine when they are many people, but when it's empty, she just direct us to sit a smaller table. Very bad attitude and lansi.  

  29. # Anonymous Anonymous

    and nowadays the don't put the chilli condiments on the table anymore, they only give it to you when the pan mee arrived and through half way when you want to add on more chillies, you will notice it's gone! The lady will take it back on their table. And on the wall, they no longer put chillies on table, because some customers had been stealing the chillies, as claimed by them. Come on, we felt insulted when reading this and not everyone customers will steal the chilli! Just avoid Restoran Kin Kin if you can, not worth the bad service, boycott them!  

Post a Comment



© 2006 The Malaysian Food Review | Blogger Templates by GeckoandFly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.