The Malaysian Food Review

The Definitive Guide to Malaysian Food


Dim Sum - Pan Ki Dim Sum - Sri Petaling

Any self-respecting person will know that the only decent breakfast dish on a Sunday morning is dim sum, or bak kut teh. Last weekend, I had a craving for the former.



When I think of dim sum, I think of Sri Petaling. This place I went to has been there for quite some time now and is always very crowded. If you go after 12 noon it is likely that they would have run out of some of their more popular dishes. It is located along the same row as the Public Bank and the KFC at Sri Petaling, directly opposite the 7-11. There is also a newer place for dim sum in Sri Petaling, located about a 5 minute walk away from this one, but I refuse to go there because I believe they are just copycats stealing business from the people who made a good name for themselves there.

This shop has tables inside and outside, but because of the location, the morning sun hits the outside of the shop, and therefore it is always recommended you sit inside. “Inside” consists of 2 shop lots, one belonging to the dim sum people, and the other belonging to the neighbouring bak kut teh shop. (For BKT fans out there, I have not tried the BKT here yet. I don’t think I will be trying it in the near future. Maybe one of you can try it and tell me what it is like).

Now, back to my dim sum, the service here is pretty good. You don’t have to wait too long before some skinny Chinese/Burmese/Nepalese boy carries over one of those huge wooden steaming devices to your table. There is also a very wide variety of things. I have heard very good things about the Char Siew Pau here but due to stomach capacity constraints I could not sample it.

Before I get into my review proper, let me first warn all of you that this is going to be filled with technical terminology that most of you may not understand. Most of my technical terminology will be used to describe the food, its ingredients, etc. Please try to stay focused throughout the lecture.


I shall describe the above dishes clockwise, starting from the above left. As you all can see, this is clearly some stuff with a bit of crabstick on top of it. I for the life of me don’t know what is in it, but it tastes pretty good. Next up is the long cylindrical shaped stuff with a brown outer layer. This stuff tastes good too, but not as good as the crabstick stuff above. I also had to pull out a long piece of carrot hidden just under the brown outer layer as I thought it might spoil the taste. The final item in the above photo is fishball, which is stuck on some sort of flat thing. Due to the many items I ordered, I can’t remember what this one tastes like. But I am sure it was nice.


Moving on to the next photo, first (from the top, clockwise) is the carrot cake. I cannot for the life of me figure out why they call this carrot cake. There is no carrot in it. Anyway, this was not very good. The pieces of watchamacallit are too big. Then comes the salad prawn, which was quite good. I would rate it above average. Finally, I had the delicious cylindrical shaped brown thing. This is one of my favourites. It is nice and crunchy.


The Loh Mai Kai here is very average. It is a bit bland. I was extremely disappointed. This is definitely one thing they should work on improving.



The prawn wrapped in white stuff is one of the specialties here, and for a good reason (for those of you who are slow, the good reason being that it is delicious). But then again, not many places go wrong with this dish.


Pictured above (from the top, clockwise) is the stuff wrapped in yellow coloured stuff with a little carrot on top. This is another specialty here. Better than most places. A must have when you come here.

Next is the spicy gingery pork. This stuff tastes really good, but unfortunately the pieces of pork they give consists 90% of fat, bone and cartilage. If only they gave decent pieces of meat, I would be addicted to it.

The last thing I could stuff into my tummy before exploding were fishballs. Put any fishballs in front of me and I will finish them, and they all taste equally good to me.

The bill came up to around RM35.00 including 3 drinks. I wouldn’t know how that compares to other places.

Overall, I would say the dim sum here is above average. The shop has also been renovated recently to deal with the new competition nearby. I would give it a 7.5/10.

4 Bites (Comments)

4 Responses to “Dim Sum - Pan Ki Dim Sum - Sri Petaling”

  1. # Anonymous Anonymous

    your blog always makes me hungry when i am at work. keep up the good work.  

  2. # Blogger toniXe

    i look forward 2 yr Bak Kut Teh review next, but not those from Klang please ! tq  

  3. # Anonymous Anonymous

    Please don't double park in front of the shop.  

  4. # Anonymous Anonymous
Post a Comment



© 2006 The Malaysian Food Review | Blogger Templates by GeckoandFly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.