The Malaysian Food Review

The Definitive Guide to Malaysian Food


Char Kuey Teow - Tai Wah Kopitiam, PJ Old Town

Ni Hao! Tongue of Fury here with probably one of the most personal review I will ever do for MFR. This is a place I have been visiting since I was a 7 year old child. It is a place where old men gather to talk (most of the time bitch) about culture, politics and Arthritis. It is a place where people wait 45mins or more for the Char Kuey Teow and have no complaints. I loved the Char Kuey Teow back then, and when I visited the place again a few weeks back with Sek Sun and Bottomless Pit to have another taste, I realised that I STILL GOD DAMN LOVE IT!!!

The place is at PJ Old Town, some people call it New Town now, but I rather call it Old Town cos it still looks like an old area to me. The kopitiam is situated opposite the market not far away from the cross junction. It shouldn't be too hard to find. Gretchen Ross if you need a map, ask smoking salmon, he's a pro at drawing maps.


Once there, make your way to the Char Kuey Teow stall and order from the nice friendly auntie. Then take a seat and wait for you food. You should bring a newspaper or magazine if you're alone and don't go with friends you dislike cos it will be quite a wait. The reason is that the cook only fries a maximum of 2 PLATES each time. This is the best quality control technique for frying Kuey Teow and is the key to why the Char Kuey Teow is so good.

Sek Sun and I ordered Kuey Teow Mee, mine with chilli, his without. And Bottomless Pit ordered just Mee. Yes its true, he ordered Char Kuey Teow without the Kuey Teow, he's one of a kind.


As you can see it is a beautiful plate of Kuey Teow. The ingredients were all perfectly blended together. I think most Char Kuey Teows are guilty of giving too little beansprout and Gau Choi, this one have just the right amount. Taking a taste I realised why I used to love it so much. The flavour is just right, and it is not oily at all. There were no evidence of pork lard used, but I may be wrong. When we finished the plate, we could see that there were not much oil left on the plate, unlike some other CKT where you could still see the red liquid on the plate.


Eating the Char Kuey Teow makes me get the feeling that the cook is really passionate about his work as he sweats it all out to make sure that every plate of his Char Kuey Teow tasted like his best plate, like an artist at work I would put him in the same class as Da Vinci, Beethoven, Zinedine Zidane and Borat.

I was tempted to order a 2nd plate but decided agaisnt it, worrying that overeating will spoil my liking for it.

Final Verdict (Poor/Fair/Good/Very Good/Excellent/Outstanding):
Taste: Outstanding
Ambience: Very Good (Bottomless Pit liked the Old School Kopitiam style of the place)
Price: RM3.00 (small) RM3.50 (big) / Reasonable
Rating: 9.5/10

Overall, a very satisfying breakfast indeed. I should point out that the place only opens in the morning till lunch time. By 1pm or so they would have sold out. For Char Kuey Teow fans out there, this is a MUST TRY!

Before I go, here is a sneak preview of Bottomless Pit as he was leaving the Kopitiam, notice the resemblence to a famous cartoon character?


Ok folks, time for me to make like a banana and split. Till the next review.

4 Bites (Comments)

4 Responses to “Char Kuey Teow - Tai Wah Kopitiam, PJ Old Town”

  1. # Anonymous Anonymous

    it looks pretty damn oily to me. please be impartial. biased cow.  

  2. # Blogger backStreetGluttons

    yr 9.5 rating places it at the top of the malaysian charts !

    sure or not ?  

  3. # Blogger Tongue of Fury

    Maybe I was a little biased, I should have went with a 9 rating instead. But as I said I have a soft spot for this place... but please, don't knock it till you try it. Go have a taste and let me know what you think.  

  4. # Blogger smoking salmon

    Seconded. Time for him to put his money where his mouth is.  

Post a Comment



© 2006 The Malaysian Food Review | Blogger Templates by GeckoandFly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.